Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Easy Water Displacement Project - Archimedes Principle!!

Mommy came up with a very cool and fun project for me to do to see how I can make water rise up!!! I call it Plump Up the Water!!!

Such a simple project but so much fun and so much to learn! Here is the video ....



What I learnt : If I put a bigger marble, I could make the water rise up faster!!!

What you need for this project: 
A cup or beaker with measurements, water and some stones or marbles. You could also try with other objects.

Earlier during the day I read a story about how a thirsty crow wanted to drink water. The thirsty crow found a little water in a vase that it could not reach, so the crow put pebbles into the vase and water slowly rised up to the top and the crow could drink it. I loved this story and it was fun to do what the crow did. I will  post a separate post on this storybook and others that my grandparents sent from India.


Mommy's Notes: Law of buoyancy, discovered by Archimedes, which states that any object that is completely or partially submerged in a fluid at rest is acted on by an upward, or buoyant, force. The magnitude of this force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. The volume of fluid displaced is equal to the volume of the portion of the object submerged.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/buoyancy-1#ixzz2SAJyUC4s

No comments:

Post a Comment