Thursday, May 2, 2013

Homemade Lava Lamp! Whoa!!

Today mommy and I made a cool lava lamp. Mommy wanted to make a blue lamp but I wanted a green one so we ended up making a green one!!

Me with my lava lamp!
We took an empty bottle. You can take any empty bottle. Fill it 1/4 with water and the remaining with vegetable oil. Then you can add you favorite food color. I used 10 drops of green food color. Once the food color reached the water, the water turned green. Then I put broken pieces of Alka Seltzer in and whoa there were so many green color bubbles floating up, moving around. When I put more Alka Seltzer, we got a tornado inside a bottle!

What I learnt: I learnt that oil and water dont mix because oil is thicker than water. I also learnt the color mixes only with water and not oil. I also learnt that when I add water, water goes to the bottom and oil stays on top because water is heavier than oil.

What you need:



Here is my video:

Mommy's notes: 
How does it work?
How do the bubbles form? The Alka-Seltzer tablet reacts with the water to make tiny bubbles of carbon dioxide gas. These bubbles attach themselves to the blobs of colored water and cause them to float to the surface. When the bubbles pop, the color blobs sink back to the bottom of the bottle. Source: Steven Spangler

No comments:

Post a Comment